Elia Group acts as a holding company that owns Elia Transmission Belgium (the Belgian TSO), Eurogrid International (comprising the activities of 50Hertz, the German TSO) and Elia Grid International (the Group’s international consultancy branch). Its main shareholder is the municipal holding Publi-T. Elia Group (formerly Elia System Operator SA/NV) has been listed on the regulated market of Euronext Brussels since June 2005.
Elia Group holds direct stakes in:
- Elia Transmission Belgium (ETB): this is fully owned. ETB is the Belgian transmission system operator for high-voltage electricity (30,000–380,000 volts). Its main activities include managing grid infrastructure (maintaining and developing high-voltage infrastructure) and the electrical system (which includes monitoring flows, maintaining the balance between electricity consumption and generation around the clock, importing and exporting energy to and from neighbouring countries), as well as facilitating the market (which comprises developing services and mechanisms with a view to developing the electricity market at national and European level).
- Eurogrid GmbH (in which it holds an 80% stake), which comprises the activities of 50Hertz, the German TSO. The remaining 20% is held by the German state-owned Bank Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW). KfW is one of the world’s leading promotional banks. With its decades of experience, KfW is committed to improving economic, social and ecological living conditions across the globe on behalf of the Federal Republic of Germany and the federal states. KfW does not have any branches and does not hold customer deposits. It refinances its promotional business almost entirely through the international capital markets. In Germany, the KfW Group has offices in Frankfurt, Berlin, Bonn and Cologne. Its international network includes 80 offices and representations around the world.
- Elia Grid International (EGI), a 50/50 joint venture with 50Hertz Transmission GmbH. EGI offers supporting services and advice to government bodies, utilities and other key players around the world seeking support for the design and implementation of future projects in the power sector. It provides advisory services in the following domains: asset management, system operations, grid development and RES integration. Its activities are considered as non-regulated.
- re.alto: the aim of re.alto is to become the main European digital energy marketplace/platform for data and digital services in order to accelerate innovation, the digital transition and the development of energy as a service.
- WindGrid: Elia Group’s newest legal entity, WindGrid, will focus on offshore development outside of its current regulated perimeters. In February 2022, the Board of Directors approved the formation of this new subsidiary, solidifying the group’s commitment to accelerating the energy transition in the interest of society both in its home countries and abroad. WindGrid will deliver and unlock further revenue streams for the group, whilst enabling it to remain at the forefront of offshore wind development and maintain its relevance in the long term
Elia Transmission Belgium holds shares in:
- Nemo Link, a joint venture between Elia and National Grid Interconnector Holdings Limited. The latter is a subsidiary company of National Grid Plc, a major UK company which owns and manages gas and electricity infrastructure in the UK and in the northeastern US. Nemo Link operates a 1,000 MW interconnector between Belgium and Great Britain and is governed by a regulatory framework determined by OFGEM and the CREG, the regulators in the UK and Belgium.
- Elia Engineering, which is fully owned by Elia and is responsible for all engineering activities.
- Elia Re’s, which is Elia’s reinsurance company.
- JAO, the joint service company belonging to twenty Transmission System Operators from seventeen countries. It is responsible for yearly, monthly and daily auctions of transmission rights along 27 borders in Europe. It acts as a fall-back for the European Market Coupling.
- Holding des Gestionnaires de Réseau de Transport (HGRT), a shareholder in the French-based European power exchange EPEX Spot SE.
- Coreso, the first joint regional technical coordination centre, shared by nine European transmission system operators. Coreso contributes to a number of EU objectives, namely the operational safety of the electricity system, the integration of large-scale renewable energy generation (wind energy) and the development of the electricity market in CWE.